Data Entry Clerk Cover Letter Example
- 30% higher chance of getting a job
- 42% higher response rate from recruiters
Our customers have been hired at:*Foot Note
When you find a job you want, submitting a well-written resume is a good start, but it’s not enough alone. You also need to send a persuasive cover letter that fills in the gaps and illustrates your fit for the role. This guide to writing an effective cover letter for a data entry clerk position will help you put the spotlight on your knowledge of basic computer software and your time management skills to improve your chances of getting an interview.
Data entry clerk cover letter (text)
Hollywood, FL 33020
June 08, 2023
Edgar Ortega, Human Resources Manager
Fort Lauderdale, FL 3334
Dear Edgar Ortega,
As a highly skilled data entry clerk, I read your job posting at Ortega Foods with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking, in particular, my current job as a data entry clerk with Faire Yarn Works. I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organization.
With more than 10 years of experience, I am adept in organizing information, prioritizing tasks and document management. Moreover, while my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate time management ability and strong attention to detail, I excel at:
- Managing data entry and customer support for busy websites.
- Developing improved systems for data entry and filing.
- Reviewing and updating correspondence files and database information from 25 clients to maintain accurate records of over 10,000 accounts.
- Updating paper-based systems and converting them to computer-based processes.
- Gathering, analyzing and reporting on detailed statistical information.
In addition to my experience and personal qualities, I am enthusiastic about research, team collaboration and accurate data entry. I am extremely interested in Ortega Foods’ focus on business growth in new markets and would welcome the opportunity to contribute to your success.
Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and career achievements. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meet your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
How to format a data entry clerk cover letter
A cover letter is your chance to connect with a potential employer. It allows you to expand on your resume, introduce yourself to the hiring manager, call attention to your qualifications and showcase why you’re the right person for the job. That’s a lot for one page, but as you can see from our cover letter sample for a data entry clerk job, it can be done!
The first step is picking the correct cover letter format.
Use the business letter format for your data entry clerk cover letter
A cover letter is a business letter, so use the layout of a standard business letter to guide the format of your document.
As our example of a data entry clerk cover letter shows, your cover letter must include:
- A header with your name, city, state, ZIP code and telephone number.
- The recipient’s address and contact information.
- A greeting, like “Dear Samuel Hill,” “Dear Hiring Manager,” or “Dear HR Department.”
- A simple closing, like “Kind regards” or “Sincerely.”
In addition, it’s best practice to use 1 and ¼ inch margins on all sides, single spacing and left alignment on your one-page document.
Using a data entry clerk cover letter template is the best way to ensure your cover letter is formatted correctly and will pass through applicant tracking systems (ATS). Plug your letter into our Cover Letter Builder and we’ll give you expert advice and job-specific phrases to use. You’ll have a professional cover letter for a data entry clerk role in no time.
How to write a cover letter for a data entry clerk position
Start with a powerful introduction
Employers see the same boring, generic job application documents over and over, so to stand out, you must hook them immediately with an interesting and unique data entry clerk cover letter opening. Think of your cover letter introduction like an elevator pitch and be as clear and convincing as possible. Mention why you’re interested in the job and highlight why you’re the best candidate for it. Convey passion and confidence in your skills.
Use accomplishments to showcase why you’re an excellent fit for the role
If you review top data entry clerk cover letter examples, you’ll see that the body paragraphs are used to paint an in-depth picture of the applicant’s career history, while also offering insight into their interests and values. In one or two paragraphs, you should do the same to give potential employers a sense of who you are and what you’re capable of. Use strong action verbs like “Updated” and “Optimized,” as well as numbers, to describe your past work accomplishments and remember to highlight both hard and soft skills.
Close with an invitation
Follow the lead of our data entry clerk cover letter sample and use the final paragraph of your letter to thank the hiring manager for their time and reiterate both your love of data and your eagerness to be considered. Close with a call to action that invites the reader to get in touch with you to set up an interview and discuss your suitability for the job.
Do’s and don’ts for building a data entry clerk cover letter
- Address the recruiter or hiring manager directly.
- Explain what attracted you to the company in one or two sentences.
- Customize your data entry clerk cover letter for the job.
- Include keywords from the job description throughout.
- End with a clear call to action.
- Proofread your cover letter more than once.
- Write a generic data entry clerk cover letter.
- Write more than one page.
- Use generic salutations, like “To Whom It May Concern.”
- Regurgitate your data entry clerk resume.
- Rely on automatic grammar or spell-checkers.
- Write a fan letter, even if it is your dream job.