Table of Contents
Featured resume example: secretary
Name: CAROLL KENNEDY
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Professional and knowledgeable student well versed in administrative support and customer service. Offering close to three gears of experience as a receptionist and 1 gear of experience as student body secretary. Highly efficient and accurate with strong planning, problem-solving and communication skills. Looking for a secretary role in a law office to utilize mg legal studies background.
- Documentation and reporting
- Verbal and written communication
- Proficient in laws
- Time management
- Transcription and dictation
- Attention to detail
- Organization skills
- Provided clerical support to employees by copying, faxing and filing documents.
- Monitored premises, screened visitors, updated logs and issued passes to maintain security.
- Answered multi-line phone system by third ring and transferred callers to appropriate staff member.
- Wrote and proofread error-free letters, memorandum and other business correspondence for a team of three lawyers.
- Responded to emails and other correspondence to facilitate communication and enhance business processes.
- Recorded expenses and maintained accounting records in Microsoft Excel.
- Organized envelopes, postage and mail correspondence for staff and management, maintaining postage meter and coordinating with delivery and courier services.
- Maintained fully functional office equipment and well-organized supplies to enhance team productivity.
- Handled daily scheduling tasks and provided administrative support for office staff members.
Top 4 characteristics of a best-in-class secretary resume
- Summary Your summary statement should encapsulate your work history, skills and achievements. Identify your capabilities that are most suitable for this position such as organizational and communication skills, and pair these with a job title that describes your career so far. For example: “Secretary with excellent organization skills and coordination abilities.” Make sure to add a few achievements from your previous roles to round out your summary (e.g., “Successfully implemented strategies to improve customer satisfaction”).
- Skills Use keywords from the job description for your role that highlight your skills, such as “good rapport with customers” or “well-versed in Microsoft Office programs.” Draw attention to soft skills that are critical for a secretary’s role, including interpersonal skills, attention to detail and quick thinking.
- Work history Make sure that when describing your work history, focus on successful accomplishments, and how you lead activities (e.g., “devised training programs to sharpen the skills of employees” or “prepared presentations that led to reduced time in delivering client requirements”). Focus on activities that had a positive impact in the organization’s processes or bottom line.
- Education List out any degrees or training that you possess. Degrees in human resources, or training in presentation and office software, as well as CPS or CAP certifications should be highlighted to make your resume more desirable.
See Why My Perfect Resume is a 5-Star Resume Builder
Find the right template for your resume
Concentrate on how to best present your achievements, skills, qualifications and experience, and leave the design and look of your resume to us with these three well-designed templates:
This popular design, which uses a centered header and straightforward layout, is ideal for anyone who wants a sharp, classic look for their resume.
The large font for the applicant’s name and use of indentation for section and work experience highlights helps distinguish this layout.
This template’s tidy design is enlivened with the use of color for the top header, as well as a separate column for section headings.
What Makes Our Resume Builder Great?
1. Professional, Customizable Templates
Stand out with MyPerfectResume’s eye-catching resume templates! Building a noteworthy resume has never been easier or faster.
2. Expertly Crafted Phrases
Don’t get stuck writing about your work experience. Create an impressive resume with our pre-written, industry-specific bullet points!
3. Popular Format Downloads
Need your resume in PDF, word, or an image file? You’re in control with multiple export and download options.
4. Optimize Your Resume
With resume score and resume check, we’ll rate the strength of your resume and guide you through actionable steps to make a resume that showcases your best professional self!
5. Customize Your Resume to The Job
Copy and paste a job description from any listing and get a job-specific resume match score. We’ll guide you through tailoring your resume for the job!
6. Up Your Application Game
With Smart Apply, we’ll help you find an opportunity, customize your resume, create a matching cover letter, and download your documents. We’ll even send you to the web page where you can apply!
Secretary resume FAQ
1. What are the skills you should emphasize for this specific job?
Consider emphasizing these skills:
|Technical skills:||Soft Skills:|
|Proficient in Microsoft Office||Interpersonal skills|
|Adept with telecommunication systems and printers||Trustworthy employee|
|Knowledge of database management software||Problem-solving abilities|
|Good typing skills||Responsible|
|Proficient in Microsoft Office|
|Adept with telecommunication systems and printers|
|Knowledge of database management software|
|Good typing skills|
2. What are some examples of training and certifications that fit this specific resume?
Apart from excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, consider some of the following certifications and training, which can give you an edge:
- Certified Administrative Professional
- Fundamental Payroll Certification
- Microsoft Word: core document creation, collaboration and communication
- Outlook: core communication, collaboration and email skills
- Certified Associate in Project Management
- Excel: core data analysis, manipulation and presentation
- Administrative Assistant Certificate
- Associate of applied science in business administrative technology
3. How should you format your resume?
The chronological resume is a logical choice for most job seekers, as it focuses on work experience. The functional resume emphasizes your relevant skills rather than your work experience, and is suitable for first-time job seekers. The combination resume blends both the chronological and functional formats, and is ideal for someone with a variety of skills and experience that they can apply to the job.
For more resume formatting information, visit our resume format page.
4. How should you craft your resume if you’re looking to take the next step forward in your career?
Take on more responsibilities: Identify projects or tasks within your organization that allow you to grow your skills, and prove your value. Once your resume demonstrates that you are adept in handling additional roles, climbing up the organizational ladder will become easier.
Evaluate yourself: Give yourself an objective review. What skills are holding you back from progressing your career? Do you have the right attitude in approaching new projects or taking on new responsibilities? Finding solutions to these questions will go a long way in achieving success up the organizational path.
Stay up-to-date with regular training and/or certifications: With the processes and technology for administrative work advancing rapidly, it pays to stay relevant. Identify areas or technical skills where you need improvement, and take on courses or certification programs to polish your skills and keep up.