Job Description & ResponsibilitiesOffice assistants keep offices organized and running smoothly. Some of their responsibilities include:
- Scheduling appointments
- Organizing files
- Forwarding information to other departments
- Placing orders
- Mailing receipts and promotions to customers
Office Assistant Cover Letter RequirementsAny high school graduate with adequate typing, computer, and communication skills can find an entry-level office assistant position. However, a one or two-year certificate program will qualify you for jobs in medical or legal offices. Despite your educational background, these are the skills you need to talk about in your office assistant cover letter in order to land a job.
- Typing speed: If you have been clocked doing a high number of words per minute, include that in your office assistant cover letter.
- Computer skills: Familiarity with computer office programs will give you an edge as you look for a job.
- Grammar: As an office assistant, you will need to write e-mails, memos, formal business letters, and notes. Employers want to see office assistant cover letters with perfect punctuation, spelling, and syntax.
- Organizational skills: Since you will be in charge of keeping the office organized, mention your disdain for clutter and disorderliness in your office assistant cover letter.
- Courtesy: Office assistants often greet customers as they walk into the office and converse with them over the phone. Employers are looking for office assistants who are pleasant and polite. So, make sure the tone of your office assistant cover letter is professional and respectful at all times.
Office Assistant Advancement OpportunitiesWhile entry-level office assistants make between $10 and $15 per hour, those who get promoted to office administrators earn an average of $20 per hour. Since your opportunities increase as you gain more experience, be sure to update your office assistant cover letter regularly to increase your earning potential. If you need help getting started, view the sample office assistant cover letter below.
Get the Job You WantLearning how to write the office assistant cover letter that employers want to read is the first step to landing a great job. Find out what employers are thinking when they read your cover letter.