Our customers have been hired at:*Foot Note
Engineers play many roles in designing, building and improving infrastructures, technologies, medical equipment and more. Employment in this occupation is expected to grow 4% over the next decade, bringing in 91,300 jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
We are here to help you write a CV to highlight your skills and career. Build the perfect engineer CV or resume, and create an effective cover letter to accompany it. Plus, we offer some great resume examples, CV examples and cover letter examples to get you started.
Table of Contents
CV examples for top engineering jobs
More engineering CVs by job title
Resume examples for top engineering jobs
Our customer reviews say it best
Our resume builder makes it easy to craft an impressive, ATS-friendly resume in just minutes.
- Free professionally designed templates.
- Expert suggestions for every section of your resume.
- Start a resume from scratch or edit your existing resume.
Engineering CV FAQ
1. What qualifications and certifications do employers look for in this industry?
To work as an engineer, you must complete your bachelor’s in a specialized field. Once you start your career, seek state licenses, additional training and certifications to stand out from the pool of applicants. For example, early on in your career seek an Engineer in Training (EIT) certification. If you’ve already started your career, consider a Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or a Professional Engineer (PE) license.
2. What are some common skills required for engineering jobs?
Hiring managers for engineering jobs look for applicants who have a mix of soft and hard skills, for example:
- Technical reports
- Water treatment system
- Regulations and compliance
- Problem solving
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Scientific testing methods
- Industry codes and standards
- Machine learning
- Project management
- Quality control
3. What is the salary potential for an engineer?
An engineer’s salary depends on the specific job title and location. In 2022, the average salaries for engineer jobs in the United States are as follows:
- Aerospace engineers: $122,270 per year
- Chemical engineers: $105,550 per year
- Civil engineers: $88,050 per year
- Electrical and electronics engineers: $101,780 per year
- Environmental engineer $99,040 per year
4. What does the career progression for a professional driver look like?
Engineering roles are expected to grow on par or faster than the national average. For example, environmental engineers will see a 4% growth, which is on par with the nationwide average. If you’re interested in aircraft, satellites and the like, aerospace engineers will see a 6% growth, or 3,800 job openings per year, during this decade. Meanwhile, chemical engineers will see a whopping 14% growth during this decade.
5. What’s the ideal resume format for an engineer job?
The ideal resume format is one that highlights your strengths. Choose according to your years of experience and career goals.
- Functional format: A format made for entry-level applicants. The layout focuses on skills, allowing you to showcase everything that you can do.
- Combination format: This format puts the skills and work experience on equal footing. It’s a great option if you have a few years of experience as an engineer.
- Chronological format: Seasoned engineers who have many years of experience, this format showcases expertise through a detailed work history section.