Top Library and Museum CV Examples
- 30% higher chance of getting a job
- 42% higher response rate from recruiters
Our customers have been hired at:*Foot Note
Library and museum provide access to information, history and become a community haven. To work and advance in this field, you need to curate an amazing job application.
We can help you make the perfect library and museum CV or resume and create an effective cover letter to match it. Find inspiration in our CV examples, resume examples and cover letter examples to get started.
CV examples for top library and museum jobs
Our customer reviews say it best
Library and museum CV FAQ
1. What are some common skills required for library and museum jobs?
- Customer service
- Community outreach
- Cultural competence
- Foreign languages & level of proficiency
- Library management
- Library software
- Collection development
- Collection curation
- Artwork restoration
2. What's the ideal format for a library and museum CV?
The library and museum CV format is open. Choose the CV order according to your strongest qualifications, industry or job requirements. Find a polished, professional CV template, and pay close attention to your grammar, action verbs and keywords to create your perfect CV.
3. What qualifications and certifications do employers look for in library and museum applicants?
Qualifications vary according to employer, role and sometimes even state. Confirm the requirements through the job description. Library technicians and assistants need a high school diploma plus a complete certification in library technology. Other certifications for candidates interested in a library career are:
- Library Technical Assistant (LTA)
- Certificate of Achievement in Library/Information Technology
- Library Technology Certificate Program
- Digitization Skills Certificate Program
- Technical Information Services Certificate
- Public Information Services Certificate
Archivists, conservators and curators need a master’s degree, while technicians need a bachelor’s degree. These are examples of certifications to hone in your skills and advance your career:
- Certificate in Museum Collections Management and Care (MCMC)
- Certificate in Museum Studies
- Art Museum Education Certificate
- Museum Education Certification (MEC)
- Natural History Museum Curation Certificate
Remember to include the issuing institution and, if applicable, the expiration date.
4. What is the salary potential for a library and museum professional?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for the education, training and library occupation group is $57,220.
These are salaries in related occupations:
- Library technicians and assistants: $34,050 per year
- Postsecondary teachers: $79,640 per year
- Historians: $63,940 per year
- Adult basic and secondary education and ESL: $59,720 per year
5. What does the career progression for library and museum look like?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 6% growth for librarians and library media specialists, with 14,900 annual job openings and 8,000 new jobs over the decade. For archivists, curators, museum technicians and conservators, BLS projects a 12% growth, with 4,700 annual job openings and 4,200 new jobs over the decade. In comparison, BLS projects a 5% nationwide all occupation growth.
How we reviewed this article
Since 2013, we have helped more than 15 million job seekers. We want to make your career journey accessible and manageable through our services and Career Center’s how-to guides and tips. In our commitment to bring you a transparent process, we present our Editorial Process.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Education, Training, and Library Occupations
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Archivists, Curators, and Museum Workers
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Librarians and Library Media Specialists
- Corcoran School of the Arts & Design Certificate in Museum Collections Management and Care (MCMC
- Tufts University Certificate in Museum Studies
- American Library Association-Allied Professional Association State/Regional Certifications
- American Library Association Library Certificate and Degree Programs
- University of North Texas Art Museum Education Certificate)
- Florida State University Depart of Art Education Museum Education Certification (MEC)
- Ohio State University School of Earth Sciences Natural History Museum Curation Certificate