As an alternative to the rÃ©sumÃ©, a curriculum vitae provides you with more opportunities to show who you are as a fully rounded candidate. This, in turn, helps to showcase the “soft” skills every job needs but few can find a way to show on paper, because it gives you the chance to include skills and activities that demonstrate those skills, even when they are not directly related to your work history. Check out the fashion editor CV example below for ideas about how to present your CV.
Build My CV
321 Adams Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia 11111
E: tthomas12@email P: 555-444-1111
Fiber optic technician with over six years of experience seeking career advancement. Specialty is premises cabling, having served as an IT maintenance technician for the last four years. Educational background is in electrical engineering with an emphasis in hardware maintenance and installation. Known for meticulous attention to detail, which helps in both installing hardware correctly and quickly pinpointing issues during service calls. Have worked in both the apprentice and mentor roles, which has helped develop good communication skills when training new employees and explaining issues to non-technical staff.
- – Expert-level understanding of fiber optic cabling as well as internal network system components. – Familiar with component testing software programs and their reporting functions. – Recognized for speed and precision in cutting, splicing, and installing cable while still staying within the limits of safety protocols. – Working knowledge of ideal server area environmental conditions as well as fire prevention, containment, and suppression techniques. – Comfortable working in any conditions.
- Handle the fiber optic cable management for regional office of national security monitoring provider.
- Work closely with facility manager to maintain a weekly service schedule of all fiber optic wiring components, which includes system testing and visual inspections.
- Maintain a quarterly repair and replacement schedule to help ensure that all cables are replaced every 18 months.
- Respond to service calls when network issues are deemed to be the result of hardware failures.
- Coordinate with maintenance staff to review fire prevention checklist for cabling components during monthly inspections.
- Worked with regional property management company that provided IT services as part of product portfolio.
- Assisted the lead electrical engineer in creating component maps for facilities and determining the hardware needed to support internal networks.
- Negotiated with local component manufacturers to set up quarterly bulk purchase orders for equipment.
- Installed fiber optic cabling during office construction and renovation projects.
- Participated in facility safety inspections with county officials prior to projects being completed.
- Served as an apprentice to licensed fiber optic technician in advance of earning personal certification.
- Assisted with network hardware maintenance for local server farm.
- Coordinated with other technicians to create an environmental maintenance schedule that included routine temperature and HVAC checks, as well as fire suppression system tests.
- Ran tests on cable components in areas identified as the source of system issues.
- Replaced cables and outlets in conjunction with monthly service schedule.
Member of local robotics club that displays homemade robots at local hobby conventions. Avid cyclist who participates in several road races every year. Fan of science fiction films and graphic novels.
Build My CV
Fiber Optic Technician CV Must-Haves
What Does a Fiber Optic Technician Do?
If this is your first foray into working in network hardware maintenance, the fiber optic technician CV example included here should give you a good idea as to the roles and responsibilities that come with such a job. Still, it is helpful for you to know in greater detail what tasks may be assigned to you once you’ve secured a job. Fiber optic technicians install and maintain the cabling used to support an internal network’s infrastructure. Thus, in such a role, you’re expected to have a basic understanding of network architecture and component system requirements. You also need to know troubleshooting techniques so you can quickly address issues in order to avoid outages. Most technicians specialize in premises cabling, or on-site operations. However, you can also work as an outside plant fiber optics technician, installing cabling systems between locations either along climb poles, underground, or even underwater.
Tips for Creating a Great Fiber Optics Technician CV
The biggest obstacle many encounter when creating a CV is maintaining a professional tone throughout. This requires using the right terminology while also omitting unnecessary information and details that can distract readers or lose their attention. To help ensure that your CV accomplishes its intended purpose, keep the following tips in mind:
– Avoid using technical terminology that human resource managers may not understand. At the same time, avoid including slang terms that undermine your attempts at sounding professional.
– Organize your important information using bullet points. This keeps the details you want to share from becoming lost in a paragraph. Use no more than five bullet points in any particular section.
– List both past work experience and your degrees and certifications in chronological order.
– Do not include any past work experience that doesn’t directly apply to the job that you’re seeking.
– Do not rely solely on spellcheck or other tools to review your completed document. Read it over several times yourself to check for any errors or omissions.