Published On : February 08, 2017
Recent high school grads face some unique challenge when navigating the job market. Fortunately, many of these challenges can be overcome if you have a great resume on your side. Advertise the strengths and experiences that you do have by using this perfect resume example and guide as references.
Perfect Resume Example
Gary Hart, Milwaukee, WI, 555-555-5555, email@example.com
Enthusiastic learner ready to overcome new challenges. Adept in conflict resolution and management after holding multiple leadership and service positions.
Whitefish Bay High School, Whitefish Bay, WI. Graduated June 2016.
• Cumulative GPA: 3.5
• Honor roll member 8 of 8 semesters.
• President of Whitefish Bay Web Design Club. Led meetings, planned events, and collaborated with club members to learn and teach new web design skills.
• Vice President of Spanish Club. Tracked membership, recruited new members, and organized fundraising events. Arranged exchange student program with Spanish high school for Winter 2014.
• Member of Whitefish Bay High School varsity soccer team. Team captain for 2015 season.
• Time management
• Event planning
• Analyzing and explaining information
• Resolving customer complaints
• Comfortable with conversational Spanish
• Teaching and leading groups
• Optimizing team performance
Target, Milwaukee, WI. 2014-present. Sales Floor Team Member.
• Named Employee of the Month for consistently providing superior service.
• Helped customers locate desired items and placed orders when items were not available.
• Upheld store reputation by constructively responding to customer concerns.
• Maintained attractive storefront by cleaning messes and eliminating clutter.
Milwaukee County Parks and Recreation, Milwaukee, WI. 2012-2016. Volunteer youth coach.
• Taught soccer fundamentals to children ages five to eight.
• Planned and led practices, demonstrated essential skills, and outlined field strategies.
• Promoted teamwork and group camaraderie by leading icebreaker drills and encouraging positive interactions.
Central Soup Kitchen, Milwaukee, WI. 2011-2013. Volunteer.
• Served food and drinks to poor and homeless people living in the city.
• Responded to visitor needs with friendly and helpful attitude.
• Brainstormed with other volunteers to formulate solutions to organizational problems.
• Sanitized tools, equipment, and eating surfaces to promote facility cleanliness.
What to Notice in a Perfect Resume Example: High School Grads
Although the author of the perfect resume example has only just graduated from high school, he makes the most of the experience that he does have. To begin with, Gary includes a summary statement that emphasizes his work ethic and his willingness to learn. He also mentions that he has experience in both service and leadership positions, demonstrating that he thrives in a variety of settings.
The skills section is a critical component of the perfect resume example for high school graduates. Gary has several skills that employers might find valuable, so he makes sure to provide a bullet point about each one. He also provides a comprehensive look at the best parts of his high school education. He highlights his good grades as well as his leadership of several clubs. These two points demonstrate that he has command of numerous skill sets, including studying, event planning, and leadership. Furthermore, the clubs he participated in are rather distinct from one another, making him stand out as a well-rounded candidate. He also makes sure to highlight the transferable skills he developed in each position he has held.
Perfect Resume Example: At a Glance
• Take advantage of your youth by emphasizing your adaptability and energy.
• Focus on your strengths. Remember to include all group memberships, especially leadership positions.
• Be sure to mention hourly and volunteer jobs, as the skills you obtain in these positions tend to be general and transferable.
• If possible, provide examples of diverse types of experiences while still calling attention to their common threads.